Sunday, March 1, 2015

Junk In Your Trunk


Hi my name is Candice and I have to confess that I have a problem…..


I have a hard time throwing out junk because I am convinced that all things can be upcycled for art, craft and home projects. Besides all of that, I am sure that all of us have some kind of conscious desire to do our bit in leaving less of a carbon footprint.

So my challenge to you is to create something out of any kind of junk and re-fashion it either into something useful, functional or beautiful for the JUNK IN YOUR TRUNK challenge this month.




I am leaving the challenge open to your interpretation of what constitutes “Junk”

It may mean a set of hideously patterned china that you want to smash up and a make a mosaic...
It may mean reams of patterned paper you have lying around that you turn into a collage masterpiece...
It may mean doing something with skeins of wool that you intended to make a a sweater with...
It may mean doing something with rusty keys,nuts and bolts and random pieces of wire that you pick up off the street...


You can create whatever you want to, however you want to and with whatever you want to.
The only rules are that your project MUST contain something that you consider Junk that you have reclaimed or recycled.


Check out the fantastic, creative diversity and pure ingeniousness that the Design Team put together for this challenge.




Some leftover polystyrene/styrofoam ceiling tiles and mesh tape, a few twigs, bark, binding wire from the bi-monthly garden cleanup and feathers and quills from a bizarre mask thing got magically turned into a faux wood panel wall hanging.






**************************************



From "junk" to treasured memories, I created this gift for my Dad's Birthday.




**************************************



I re purposed this utilitarian paint can/tarnish can/stain can holder, into a stool that you can actually sit on!! 




**************************************




I repurposed this 15 year old CD cupboard into a Steampunk cupboard to hold my Tim Holtz dies. I covered it with different textures and die cuts. I hope you are inspired!







************************************** 





I am always in need for a place to store my numerous brushes. I like it when altered projects can become useful. So for this challenge my "junk" was an empty yoghurt carton, a great shape for this purpose as it will hold many brushes, yet does not take up too much space on my craft table.




**************************************



I chose an old book for my new favorite theme - Art Journal -

I think I can do nothing else, little joke on the edge ;-) 




**************************************


Hoarding a lot of plastic packaging that came with crafting supplies, this challenge is perfect for me... I recycled round plastic container and made a small gift box...




**************************************


An old zipper can open to new treasures... if we watch it differently!





**************************************



Part of a Yale lock that wasn't needed looked too useful to be thrown away. 

I knew eventually I would find a use for this 'junk'....

This shiny new ring became a tarnished rusty clock on a miniature wall hanging




**************************************





I used some pages from an old book, a piece of cardboard from an old box and two old music CD's to build this serene Floating Water Lily Garden wall hang for my Mom. A little reminder to her, to take time for herself once in a while!






**************************************



Aren't they amazing transformations? Thanks so much everyone for your hard work!

So make like a "Junkie" and get busy with whatever floats you creative Junk Boat!

 If you want to know any further details about any of the creations you see here today, then please click the link on the designers name - they would love to have you visit! 


  ***************************************


Our Sponsor this month is.....


Crafty Individuals

Watch out for two DT Spotlights this month featuring products from Crafty Individuals


One of the entries this month will be picked by random.org and they will receive a generous donated gift from Crafty Individuals

You could be our winner chosen by the challenge host and be invited to be Our Top Talent!

If you are one of our Top Three you get a badge to display on your blog and the picture of your creation will be proudly displayed on the OCC Pinterest page

Come and join in the fun at OCC!

Candice
xxx


36 comments:

  1. These are all brilliant....recycling is such a fun theme...one man's rubbish is another man's treasure and these are all real treasures. I will have fun joining you thanks for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful work ladies - sorry I had to sit this one out! Will visit you all soon and can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I know exactly how you feel ... my craft room is a junkyard !!! Hopefully I'll find the time and play !! Great work ladies !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant projects by all design team members, I am totally inspired. Thanks for sharing great ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shilpa. Hope you can create something too!

      Delete
  5. What a challenge! I do have a lot of junk in my trunk (both of em) and have just the thing for this challenge! Awesome makes by the DT! Carpe Diem! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Left you a comment on your blog Nikki! thanks for leaving a comment here too!

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous challenge and such inspirational projects from the Team!! Love all the different ideas and hoping I'll be able to play this month!! ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked the challenge. I hope you do play along.

      Delete
  7. Amazing upcycled project by the Team !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each of the project is a stunner and the theme in itself is a winner! The time has really come to take out all that junk and re purpose them ! Thanks for the opportunity. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased that you liked the theme - cant wait to see what you come up with.

      Delete
  9. Love these projects - great inspiration DT! j.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, brilliant projects by all the DT ladies, and such a fun idea! Hope I will have time to joing in the fun :) Coco xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Candice! Do I have some junk in my trunk! And now I have some junk linked up with your challenge! What a great theme, and even greater altered projects by the Design Team!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning recycling here, with lots of inspiring makes

    Tfs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie - are you going to join us with your make? I hope so!

      Delete
  13. Brilliant projects by all the team - I had such fun doing mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks -the design team really did do a fantastic job. I left a comment on your blog about your awesome project, hope you get a chance to see it.

      Delete
  14. Such nice examples and a lovely challenge! Thanks, Alie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alie. What a lovely project you have created.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for a fab and fun challenge and the awesome DT inspirations! I hope to come back soon Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi, new around here, so many fabulous entries and DT projects, i hope my lowly little LO with clothes tags is OK? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is perfect - thanks for playing along with us!

      Delete
  17. Thank you for the super-fun challenge! I had lots of fun. The DT projects are all so unique and wonderful! Best, CG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Glad that you liked the challenge.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting Our Creative Corner! We will publish your comment as soon as possible.... Hope you come back to see us soon xxx